Thursday, July 9, 2015

target

I was that mom today...

I had just walked into Target with my three kiddos in tow feeling on top of the world because I got out of the house before 9:30am.  The kids were fed and changed, the beds were made and I even started the dishwasher before leaving.  I am AMAZING.  This is what happens when I only have to wake up twice during a 9 hour stretch of sleep to feed my newborn.  I must have gotten 7 1/2 hours of sleep!  I promise I was a great mom before stepping into Target.  I took my kids to the Library and picked up fresh produce at Maceys all under an hour before stepping foot into Target.  Then it happened...

I walk through the doors and my baby starts screaming.  Im sure it made the lady feel extra rushed that had raced me to the registry and had won by seriously cutting me off.  For a moment I secretly liked that my baby screaming made her feel rushed and hoped that it made her feel bad for cutting me off.  I get out a pacifier for a quick fix just to realize that she has exploded in her diaper.  I sigh and run over to change her in the bathroom.  I pick her up and see that half of her body is covered in excrement.. nice.  My almost 4 year old son wants to play in the sink with the bubbles as my almost 2 year old is crying trying to get out of the cart to join him.  My baby is screaming as well and a lady walks in.  I can't help but notice that she's pregnant and alone.  I stop myself from telling her "see what you have to look forward to?" because I am not that type of person.  Children are wonderful I remind myself.  This is the life I wanted.  I got this.  I will march back out there and pick up a wedding present and my prescription that I need.

So of course, I change the baby and realize I don't have a backup onesie.  I didn't even pack a blanket because this is my third child and I don't haul junk like that around anymore on a hot summers day.  A nursing cover will have to do.  I wrap her and go on with my life.  As I exit the bathroom I snag a bag to put the poopy clothes in, ignore the cashier that thinks I'm trying to pull a fast one on her.  I don't have time for explanations, I'm on a mission.  Print out the registry, find what I want.  Check check check.  I am amazing still, I think to myself as my son is in a slight jog to keep up with my super fast cart.  I head to the pharmacy.  My birth control is HOW MUCH??  I get it anyways after looking at my three beautiful children, all of which are still three and under.  I need that.  I love them all but oh yes do I need that.  I run over to check out with my other things, reassure my children that we have food at home and that even though their popcorn is amazing, we will not be getting it today.  (Good job staying strong on the kind of diet thing I'm doing).  I walk out of the store without anyone having a melt down, load my kids in the car and smile.  I did it.  I got through Target fast.  Then as I'm pulling away I think about how crazy I must have looked in that store.  Naked child in tow, crazy haired toddler in the cart and one half jogging boy beside me.  I am that mom that looks crazy and possibly white trash.  Little do they know that this is the most I've had it together in days and I feel wonderful.  Life is good... crazy, but good.

2 comments:

blim4evans said...

oh I love you! You really are amazing.

Kristen said...

Haha…I always love your honesty! Love this story! Someday when I become a mother I will need you in my life!